Information on:

Morris-Butler House

1204 N. Park Avenue
317-639-4534

History:

The Morris-Butler House in Indianapolis takes its name from two families who lived there in the nineteenth century. In 1864, John Morris commissioned the construction of his home on land once owned by Ovid Butler, the founder of Butler University.

Morris was one of the first to move to the new suburb north of downtown. The area quickly became the city's most fashionable place to live. The Morris family occupied the house until 1878. Noble Butler, a bankruptcy lawyer, moved into the Second Empire-style house three years later with his wife and seven children. The family stayed until Florence Butler, the youngest daughter, died in 1957. Her survivors emptied the house and held an estate auction.



Morris-Butler House is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media

Photos